In certain situations, it may not be cost effective or practical to remove a tank from the ground. In most townships, non-regulated heating oil tanks can be left in place (a.k.a tank abandonment) and filled with an inert clean material. Prior to this filling in place, 7 OIL performs the following:
- It is recommended that soil samples be obtained from beneath the tank for future documentation.
- Local permits obtained at township offices
- Utilities marked out prior to breaking ground
- Removal of tank contents (liquid)
- Uncovering and accessing the inside of the tank
- Removal of residues and sludges
- Cut holes in tank bottom to gather soil samples
- Inspection of tank interior by township officials
- Backfill grade and rake out surface
- Disposal of tank contents at a permitted facility
For more info, see our Oil Tank FAQs.